It is said that we spend around the third of our life sleeping; I would love to know how much am I spending mine baking.
I love baking. Whether it’s sweet or savor, my pupils just grow larger in front of almost any kind of food coming out of the oven.
Yesterday I baked an apple cake and witnessed it coming out my kitchen triumphantly smelling like heaven.
I had my family over for my yearly Christmas party. I love our get-together, it’s warm and joyful. Kids were delighted with all the new gifts waiting for them under the Christmas tree and we, “grown-ups”, were happy drinking and eating merrily. A day to remember! Also was my cake☺
My daughters Kaia and Axel
ITALIAN APPLE CAKE
- 100g butter (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4tbsp milk
- 3 sweet apples such as gala or golden, cored and sliced (skin on)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1tbsp limoncello
1. Preheat oven to 180° C. Butter and flour a 22cm round cake pan.
2. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, add eggs, vanilla, flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Pour milk gradually while mixing and scraping down the bowl with a spatula as you go.
4. Pour the batter in the cake pan and decorate with the apple slices arranging them close together and overlapping on top of the batter.
5. Mix brown sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle this over the apples. Drizzle with limoncello (or lemon juice).
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Check early, cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack.
6. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.