You’ll love this simple version of this classic recipe. I’ve seen versions of it with ham added, or vegetables, or béchamel sauce, … but NO! More ingredients mean more comments! My kids and their friends “and my friends” love it, just like that; a simple pasta recipe mixed in a creamy cheesy sauce and topped with chunky buttery Panko.
The “yumminess” lies between your choice of the rich cheddar cheese, the Panko coated with butter and the BAKING, to make all flavors blend together in its most delicious way.
- 500g macaroni (I used maccheroni)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups cooking cream
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella, shredded
- ¾ cup Panko (or breadcrumbs)
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Butter a 9”x13” rectangular baking dish and spread cooked pasta inside.
- Sprinkle with salt and drizzle with cooking cream. Mix.
- Stir cheeses together and layer over the pasta.
- In a small bowl pour the melted butter over the Panko and mix until well coated. Use it to top the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for around 25 minutes. Serve hot.