Lebanese lentil soup is a meal in itself, packed with lentils and potatoes and often enjoyed with the addition of toasted bread. A hearty, healthy and warm bowl of this soup is the perfect solution on a rainy and cold day.
Lebanese Lentil Soup
Serves 4 • Preparation Time 20 minutes • Cooking Time 35 minutes
- 1 ½ cups lentils, washed and rinsed
- 1 tsp salt
- 450g / 1 bunch of fresh Swiss chard, washed and chopped coarsely
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ cup onions, chopped
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- Olive oil, to taste
- Bring a medium size pot, of 1L, of salted water to a boil and add lentils to half cook.
- Add potatoes and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add chards and cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Heat oil and sauté coriander and onions in a separate skillet until wilt. Add to lentils.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Add lemon juice off heat and while soup is still hot. Serve.
- This is a healthy and tasty vegetarian soup that can be served with toasted Lebanese bread (pita), if desired.