I love our Christmas family gatherings and all the good food that comes in between. This year I wanted to change from my ginger cookies giveaways and made cranberry bread instead. What’s better than a Stollen recipe!
The origin of this bread is German and traditionally baked during Christmastime. Sweetened with honey and packed with dried fruits, this recipe contains no sugar. I wrapped each loaf with Christmas papers and twines, the presentation and the taste were amazing.
Merry Christmas to all and happy baking during the holidays!
Follow me on Instagram @oryanmaya
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dried raisins
¼ cup fresh orange juice
1 tbsp cointreau
1 tbsp active dry yeast
¼ cup lukewarm milk
2 tsp honey
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup/100g unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup honey
1 large egg, beaten
1 tbsp grated orange zest
½ cup peeled, slivered almonds
3 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Place the dried fruits in a bowl and drizzle with orange juice and liquor. Stir the mixture to coat and set aside.
- In another bowl sprinkle the yeast with warm milk and wait until it rises and makes a good head of froth (about 10 minutes). Add honey and flour and set aside for another 15 minutes.
- In the mixer bowl, add the cranberries and raisins, the yeast mixture, butter, honey, egg, orange zest, almonds and salt. Start mixing adding the flour gradually, half cup at a time until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl and is smooth and elastic.
- Wrap the dough in an oiled plastic film and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
- Knock back the dough and divide into 2 portions. Shape each portion into an oval; alternatively roll the dough in one large loaf without dividing it. Glaze with melted butter and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper, place carefully the dough, cover with tea towel and leave again to rise for another 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 185 degrees C/ 365 degrees F for 10 minutes. Place the dough in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. If using thermometer the internal temperature of the bread should reach approximately 90 degrees C (190 degrees F).
- Remove from the baking sheet and place on a rack to cool.