This is another one of my favorite cakes, if it happens that I bake it for someone, I have to bring along several copies of the recipes. Not anymore! It’s on the web now:)
It’s light and moist, not too sweet, spiced with cinnamon and loaded with chopped walnuts and chunks of apples.
There’s not much to add to my monologue today! I had this recipe for so long and never changed a thing in it. I just love it!
The only thing I recommend is that to make sure that your walnuts are fresh, cause old ones might ruin the whole taste of your cake.
And this is how I make it!
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups finely chopped apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
1. Grease and flour a 13x9x2-inch baking pan (or a 7inch/18cm round pan)
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar and oil. Beat in eggs and vanilla with a wooden spoon.
3. Into another bowl sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
4. Stir into egg mixture alternating with milk. Stir in apples, chopped walnuts, and raisins.
5. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for about 45 minutes, until cake springs back when gently pressed with finger.
6. Let cool in pan on rack.
it is one of my favorite cakes too. welcome home, sis. i hope you enjoyed your trip.
Can’t wait to see you and the girls!
Yummy! I made my own version of this a while ago and blogged it. It went down very well – it had a delicious black treacle icing. This looks wonderful! I shall have to try your version.
I remember seeing it on your page:) Really POSH with the icing!
is it powder mild or liquid milk?
Liquid milk! Skimmed, low fat or full fat, all 3 works.
If you want to use powder milk use 120ml of water and 4 tbsp of milk.
P.S. It might take longer than 45minutes, it depends on your cooker.
Hey Maya, let me being with telling you that I love your recipes, they are simple and easy to make. I am a big foodie and have taken to weekend cooking in last couple of years 🙂 With this one I just wanted to ask you if the vegetable oil and margarine are the same because I went looking for a vegetable oil and couldn’t find it. Lemme know. Thanks and keep blogging 🙂
Hello! Thanks Mitesh for the boost:) You can either use melted margarine (like FLORA) or corn oil. Bon Appetit!
I made an apple and oatmeal cake the other day…but give me walnuts over apples anyday! The recipe is so simple. And it calls for oil instead of butter! I like. Apple and cinnamon are another match made in heaven 🙂
I made an apple and oatmeal cake the other day…but give me walnuts over oatmeal anyday! The recipe is so simple. And it calls for oil instead of butter! I like. Apple and cinnamon are another match made in heaven