It has been really cold outside the last couple of days; winter has definitely arrived, temperature has dropped, and the wind is whipping up rain, thunder and grey sky.
Since I have the cold, I feel that there’s nothing better than cocooning inside my home and cozying up to the fireplace while sipping home made hot chocolate or a hearty warm soup.
Being sick is not fun especially when your nose is so congested that all food seems tasteless. I was craving for spicy meals and intense flavors when this recipe came to my mind.
It was ready in no time mostly because I had all the ingredients available. I love this soup, it’s creamy, flavorful and easy to prepare. Add chicken and it will become a complete meal.
Thai Coconut Soup with Shiitake Mushrooms and Noodles
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 thumbed-size piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 carrot, sliced
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced (green part only)
- ½ cup shiitake mushrooms fresh or in a jar, sliced
- 100g noodles
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil and cook ginger and curry paste for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock, fish sauce, brown sugar and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, carrots, green onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms are soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add noodles and cook for further 2 minutes. Stir in lime juice and season with salt. Serve hot.