As sophisticated as it looks, Panna cotta is unbelievably easy to make.
Fabulous for dinner parties and can be made a day or two in advance and kept in the refrigerator. I also love it because it’s a real versatile recipe that can be combined easily to whatever seasonal fruits available.
Perfectly served with caramel sauce, honey, tropical fruits, cappuccino, coconut, etc… but my favorite combo is Lemon Panna Cotta with Strawberries! The lemon’s affair with the strawberry is scandalous. This recipe is irresistible and I haven’t found one person who doesn’t absolutely love it! I served it yesterday to my guests, and they practically licked the flute clean:) I love this feeling. Satisfying!
This recipe is pretty much my own after I’ve tried so many others from books and websites, it’s easy and delicious.
That’s the beauty of Tuscan cooking: simple and effortless. Enjoy!
Lemon Panna Cotta
- 1 ½ tsp unflavored gelatin
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsps limoncello
- 1 tbsp lemon peel, grated
- 1 cup sour cream
- 200g fresh strawberries, hulled, chopped small
- 10g butter (optional)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 50g fresh strawberries, hulls removed and cut in half to decorate.
- To make the strawberry coulis: In a medium saucepan, combine the strawberries, butter, sugar, and lemon juice. Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce becomes like a purée. Remove from the heat. If you like your coulis thin, strain it or blend it swiftly with a stick hand blender.
- To make the Panna Cotta: Sprinkle the powdered gelatin over the cold water and let soak for 5-10 minutes until soft.
- Pour the cream and the milk in the saucepan and heat until warm. Stir in the sugar and vanilla until dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in the soaked gelatine, limoncello, lemon peel and sour cream until smooth.
- Pour into serving glasses (only half of 3/4 way) and refrigerate until firm. The time depends on the size of the glass, but be sure not to take it out too early.
- When the Panna Cotta has firmed, pour a layer of strawberry sauce over each treat and decorate with fresh strawberries. Let set up in refrigerator.